Planning is an essential step to a successful and stress-free move. The following checklist will give you a guide on things you might need to consider before you move. A Week Before:
- Collect all items being repaired, things you have loaned to friends and clothes sent out for cleaning.
- Arrange for any furniture or possessions that you’re not taking with you to be disposed of or sold.
- Check your garden shed, under the house and attic to sort out what you want to take with you.
- Return anything you have borrowed.
- Check that you have returned all library books.
- Pay any outstanding accounts.
- Cancel newspaper deliveries.
- Organise final readings for your water and electricity meters, and organise the disconnection.
- List any everyday items that you will need prior to, and during your move. Put these items aside
- so that they are not accidentally packed with your household goods.
Two Days Before:
- Arrange for your valuable documents, jewellery, money etc. to be moved separately. These should not be included with household goods when moving.
- Arrange for an electrician to disconnect any special light fittings you want to take with you.
- Wash and dry all dirty clothes.
- Dispose of flammables such as cleaning fluids, solvents, paints and matches as these items are too dangerous to transport or store. Many local councils provide disposal facilities for such items – Do not pour them down the drain.
- Drain any fuel from your lawn-mower, whipper snipper, chain saw or other machinery you may be moving.
- Ensure all jars, bottles and cans containing non-flammable liquids are tightly sealed. Pack these in waterproof containers or plastic bags.
- Take down any curtains or blinds you intend to take with you.
One Day before:
- Wash and dry all dishes for packing.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet and take all unwanted medication to your chemist for proper disposal.
- Decide what items you want packed together, for example all your linen, or children’s toys, and group these items together for the movers.
- Check all your drawers and remove any heavy items, liquids or breakables.
- Remove all food from your refrigerator and freezer. Defrost both compartments and wipe the interiors dry, then leave them for 24 hours to air. Check with their manufacturers whether the motor needs to be bolted down for transport, and arrange for this if necessary. Pack your refrigerator shelving and crispers separately.
- To prepare your washing machine for removal, disconnect from the water supply and check with the manufacturer for advice.
- If you have a waterbed that needs to be moved, it should be drained and the base dismantled. Once again, check with the manufacturer for details.
- Ensure final readings are completed for electricity, gas and water meters.
- Make a final check of all cupboards and storage areas to ensure nothing has been left behind.
- Plan your moving day so that you’re sure of what is your responsibility and what will be your movers’s responsibility.
On the Day:
- As soon as the moving crew arrives, tell them whether they can park their vehicles in your driveway whilst they are being packed. The same applies for the new location you are moving to.
- Tell the moving crew what items you will need first on your arrival, as they will pack these items last for transport.
- Arrange for any small children to be kept out of the movers’s way.
- Be on hand when the movers arrive. If you can’t be there in person, please arrange for someone to take your place.
- Check that nothing has been left lying around in your garden.
- Ensure that everything has been packed according to the plan developed with your G-Movers consultant.
- Remain on the premises until everything has been packed and loaded for transport.
- Check and sign the Movers inventory.
- Turn off all taps.
- Check that the gas and electrical switches are turned off, and that your phone has been disconnected.
- Lock all windows and doors.
For more moving tips, contact us to talk to one of our friendly consultants